The second leading cause of preventable death on the battlefield is tension pneumothorax. Having a SAM Chest Seal on sight fo ra sucking chest wound could prevent this and save lives!
Some of the key features of the SAM Chest Seal include it's strong adhesive and its flexible construction which allows it to conform over the wound properly. The adhesive has been tested and proves to work and still adhere to hair, sweat, blood, with the presence of sand, water submersion and during extended wear. It can adhere in extreme heat, and extreme cold.
Another great advantage of the strong adhesion is it's ability to reseal, able to vent the wound. Some military needs that the SAM Chest Seal addresses are needing a larger dressing area, and by including a highly and rapidly absorbent 5"x9" pad for cleaning the wound area before application.
The one-way valve version provides for a low resistance flow of air out of the chest cavity but prevents ingress. It's also designed to prevent blockage internally.
Another great benefit to the SAM Chest Seal is it's optimized for night vision. Both the packaging and the chest seal can be viewed under no light conditions with the use of a night vision device, allowing for easier placement in all light conditions.
The SAM® Chest Seal meets COTCCC preferred features for chest seals
- FDA 510(k) Cleared
- Device adheres despite the presence of blood, sweat, hair, and sand
- Adheres despite storage as defined in Military Standard 810G
- Easily applied in battlefield situations
- Has tabs to facilitate removal of adhesive [dressing]
- Minimum incidence of allergic reactions to adhesive
- Oval shape; 6-8 inches or larger in size
- Creates an occlusive seal
- Puncture-resistant packaging; lightweight and ruggedized
- Long shelf life; inexpensive
- Integrity and function maintained when stored or carried in folded configuration
- Configured for ease of use in low-light environments
- Packaged one chest seal per package
- Latex free
- Dual tabs to facilitate placement and removal of dressing
- Vacuum packed tear and peel pouch
- Works under extreme heat and cold
- Dressing and packaging are night vision optimized
- Elastic for conformability of curved body surfaces
- Oval shape with thin edge layer that resists lifting or peeling
- Rapid, highly absorbent 5" x 9" pad included
- One-way valve provides for low resistance airflow out of chest cavity while preventing ingress
- Valve is designed to prevent blockage internally
- Valve is designed to prevent blockage caused by external items such as a blanket
- Cap allows occlusive option
- Item number: CS062010
- Chest seal size: 9.2" x 7.6"
- Package dimensions: 6.25" x 10" x .75"
- Package weight: 2.3 oz.
- One 5" x 9" pad per pouch